Thursday, January 31, 2008

Sweetwater River

This was one of the more emotional moments of our tour. When the pioneers came to this river it was nearly frozen (see the ice chunks in our picture). They were so exhausted from pulling their carts, that they sat at the edge of the water and started to sob. There was a rescue company that came with wagons and supplies and three young men ( like around age 18) from that company stepped forward and carried nearly every person across the river. This monument is made in their honor and this one shows one of the boys carrying a toddler and a little baby tucked in his coat across the river. It was such a humbling experience to be by that freezing river and to think of crossing it back and forth several times, talk about courage!

1 comment:

Garrett Gang said...

I've seen the picture in the Gospel Art Kit and have told the story to Primary kids; but I didn't know it was in Wyoming.

Definitely a trip I need to take with my family.

Love you, Kell!