Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas and yea for me!





Christmas was so different this year, since my dad has been at the care center we had our family party there at it was a blast. The grandkids put on a little program and the highlight of the night was when my brother's (aka seminary teacher) son told a dirty joke (obviously not aware it was dirty!) we were laughing hysterically. Curt and I were in charge of the Smith Family Christmas party this year and really glad we don't have to do that again for several years! The cousins had a great time going sledding and playing games. Since Cami is the daredevil of our family she was the one to fall off her sled and skid her face on the snow, no major injuries, just a red mark across her cheek. Our kids loved their presents this year. Of all the stuff they got I think their pj's were the favorite. I have such easy to please children, what a blessing! Kemp made an extra point to tell me how much he LOVES his BYU pj's because I made them for him! I heard him tell a friend that his mom ACTUALLY made his pajamas!
I have wanted to learn how to sew for about 10 years. My sister-in-law Sara is an amazing seamstress and she has sacrificed so much time to help me accomplish my dream, so huge thanks to her! She helped me sew Kemp and Cami's Harry Potter costumes for Halloween and I mentioned that it would be fun to sew my girls' Christmas dresses. Sara is a very ambitious person and has never ending energy, so she says to me- Let's do it! I spent like 3 separate days working on them with her. One night was spent till 4 in the morning, with oldies Christmas music on the satellite, and watching O, Brother Where Art Thou? (why in the world did George Clooney do that movie?) I had such a great time even though some moments in the learning process were hairy. Sara taught me a ton about sewing and I decided to sew some fleece BYU pj's all by myself for Kemp and he loved them. I even made the headbands to match Cami and Kerstyn's dresses. This has been such an achievement for me because I am usually scared to try new things if I think I might fail. So yea for me, I got over a fear of failure and succeeded pretty well! Curt reminded me that now I can sew all of Kemp's badges on his scout shirt, so not looking forward to that.

2 comments:

Lesley said...

Those dresses are gorgeous! They should wear them every Sunday to church before they outgrow them. Way to go Kelly! You are amazing!

Anonymous said...

Who knew? Those dresses are adorable! I have never been brave enough to sew anything beyond a halloween costume for my kids.