It is my dad's 80th birthday today and I think of how big of a party we would have had for him and it makes me smile. He always talked like reaching 80 would have been such a monumental thing, and he was shy just 8 months. We are still going to have a celebration for him anyway. My dad and mom loved to dance together. I remember growing up in California and they would go out dancing or to hear certain artists perform at local clubs (Bill Medley from the Righteous Brothers wished them a Happy Anniversary on one occasion). I also loved that they would chaperon our dances and go out on the dance floor and boogie, not only the slow dances but the fast ones too! I know if my dad was here for his b-day (with a strong hip) he would get his groove thing on! I have caught myself talking to him in my mind lately. A lot of things that are causing me so much confusion in my life right now, so many questions that I would love to hear his opinions and answers to. He is someone who was always such a wealth of knowledge to me and I am really missing that. There was a really cool scripture I read the other day that made me think of my dad and all the excitement we will feel when we see each other again.
D&C 138:14-15 "All these had departed the mortal life, firm in the hope of a glorious resurrection, through the grace of God the Father and his only begotten son Jesus Christ. I beheld that they were filled with joy and gladness, and were rejoicing together because the day of their deliverance was at hand."
Happy 80th Birthday Dad, Love you and miss you!
3 comments:
I miss grandpa so much! He sure would have been a dancin machine at his 80th. I think He still will be though.
I love you grandpa! I miss you every day more than you know!
I taught a class on time management yesterday and shared how important it is to spend our time doing the things that are most important and being with the people who are most important because we never know when those people will not be around. I shared the story of Dad's passing and how much regret I felt after he died of missed opportunities to spend time with him or make the most of the time. I noticed several people in the class were crying. Oh-and Brittany's friends Mitch and Lindy? were there. :) I love you dad!
You are such a sweet daughter. That was a beautiful post and I second everything you said. You have all of Dad's amazing qualities--putting family first, standing up for yourself and others, taking a sincere interest in people's lives, lots of wisdom and always willing to share it, patient listener, know how to have fun. I love you!
Post a Comment