Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Historic sight-seeing in St.George

In front of Jacob Hamblin's home (early settler to St. George, he served missions to the Indians)
Cute story about this bed. The mattress was filled with cotton and leaves from trees, so the kids would have to take a big rolling pin (it is on the top of the headboard in this picture) and smashed out any bugs that were in their mattress. I wish I had a picture of my kid's faces when they heard this story. I have fun saying "Don't let the bed bugs bite" to them now at bedtime!

That quilt was in excellent condition it was made in the 1800's!



We went to the St. George Temple, Brigham Young's home and Jacob Hamblin's home. The kids heard some really neat stories and saw some cool antique pieces that I think really caught their interest. They seemed to be very intrigued by the stories of how people used to live back in the pioneer era. We enjoyed these experiences so much. I think we will be more grateful for running water, soft mattresses, and flushable toilets now! playing on the grass by the Temple

He LOVED all the grass to run around on

playing tag

I have a special respect for this Temple, to think of such minimal resources back then for building, and this was the first Temple dedicated in Utah. It was breathtaking!

Families are Forever-YES!

1 comment:

Lesley said...

What a fun trip! So glad you got to be somewhere fun and warm for Easter!