Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Women's Conference 2010


After several years of wishing I could go- I FINALLY went to Women's Conference in Provo at the BYU campus. My mom has been attending this for 15+ years now and I am so glad this year I got to share it with her. It was such a great experience! I got there Thursday evening in time for the concert and it was so much fun. The LDS music artist Hilary Weeks was the MC for the night and she did some funny little things about the endless amounts of laundry that we mothers do (oh how I can relate!) and then they had some amazing singers and the Fab 5 cloggers from America's got Talent (they are from Morgan) also performed and they were awesome. Then we stayed overnight in a hotel with some long time friends of ours. We will have a little inside joke forever now about "the P stuff". The classes we went to on Friday were amazing! The Primary General Presidency spoke about raising children to want to be obedient to God's commandments. They really stressed on how families need to take their time back to spend with each other. Dinner meals was an important topic they discussed. That one on one time with our kids while we have them around the table eating is crucial to our relationships and most families have gotten away from it, so they challenged us as mothers to make it happen. The other class that my mom and I loved was about loving one another under any circumstance. The speaker for this class was incredible, her spirit could be felt by everyone there I'm sure. We cried through most of her talk, because it was a subject that anyone could relate to. She shared stories of situations where a person had been difficult to love and how you get past their personality to really be able to truly love them and care about them regardless of their actions or choices. Our perfect example is Jesus Christ he was so full of love and it was never conditional. He loved because it was his very nature to love. I figured something out during this talk. It isn't all about how you love others who make it hard; What if I have been a difficult person to love? What can I do to make it easier for others to love me? What would I need to change? Then at the end of her talk the speaker shared this quote from Les Miserables (I think it was when Jean ValJean was dying) "To love another person is to see the face of God". At that moment I felt the spirit so strong and I felt Christ's love. When you are in a place with 15,000 women at once you can't imagine the energy you feel, so cool. Dallin H. Oaks and his wife were the final speakers and they talked about a garden of faith, teaching our families to have faith in god's plan and to be doers of the word. Also Elder Oaks talked about service, my favorite quote from his talk was, "It's amazing how much you can get done when you stop worrying about who gets the credit". He challenged us to serve because we love and care for others not because of duty and recognition. Then after Conference ended we went to P.F. Chang's and ate some yummy chinese. All in All this conference was just the medicine I need for life! I was glad to share this experience with my mom, she is such a woman of faith and courage. She is going through a health trial right now and her example of trusting in the Lord and finding peace in her adversaties will be a gift to her posterity forever. We love you so much Mom!

No comments: